Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Master Bedroom Redesign on a Budget - DIY Ombre Art

I've been loving the whole ombre trend, so when I saw this bright pink ombre canvas done by Danielle Oakey, I added it to my Pinterest DIY to-do list right away.  Isn't that thing gorgeous? Especially paired with that exquisite blue desk.

I did mine in yellow and practiced beforehand on a piece of paper. Pretty straightforward - start with straight yellow, then add more and more white as you get to the middle. It's not an exact science,  just an eyeball-it kind of thing. I used some acrylic paints I already had in my stash.


Since I knew I was getting rid of this black and white leaves canvas from Ikea, I decided to see if I could re-purpose it instead of handing it over to Goodwill. 
Turns out I could! I painted over it using leftover white Valspar from this dresser project. It took several coats, but now you can't see the black at all.
Then I just jumped in and started applying the yellow.
The pictures aren't great, so I didn't take too many, but you get the idea. Dark yellow turns into lighter yellow equals ombre. 


And here's the finished painting. Every time my daughter walks into my room and sees it she says, "Nice picture, mom!" I have to agree. I love how it turned out! It totally brightens our room and I can see it fitting in perfectly with everything else I've got in mind for the room.

Oh, and the best part is, the only thing I bought for this project was a 39 cent wide foam brush. Woot! 

*Martha

2 comments:

  1. That's is literally incredible. Doesn't look one bit homemade! A real DIY feat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY love this, great repurpose.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...